Closing date : June 15 ,2020
Why participate ?
The issues of global warming and other environmental challenges we face call for an accelerated public action to find effective responses. You have ideas for environmentally-friendly tax policies? Participate in the Go Green contest!
Why students ?
What are the rewards ?
The five best student proposals will each receive a bursary of CDN$1,000.
The two best candidates will be invited to attend TaxCOOP2020 – World Tax Summit, from October 13 to 15, 2020.
*The rewards apply to each candidature: the bursary will not be affected by the number of participants in the team. In other words, a winning team of 3 participants will receive one bursary of CDN$1,000 in total. If an individual submits the winning proposal, that person will receive the entire CDN$1,000 bursary.
What are the evaluation criterias ?
• Overview of the problem targeted by the tax or incentive;
• Description of how the tax or incentive works;
• Innovative nature of the proposal;
• Realistic nature of the effects of the proposal;
• Clarity and quality of presentation;
• Evocative and coherent visual design with the proposal;
How to apply ?
2- Create a poster-style presentation outlining the principal parameters of a new environmental tax or tax incentive of your own design (or the key components leading to a revision of an existing tax or tax incentive, that you judge to be inefficient);
Your poster must cover the following aspects, in particular:
• The problematic environmental situation and the specific objective of the tax or tax incentive proposed;
What is the motive for implementing a new tax or new tax incentive?
• A detailed description of the tax or tax incentive (tax base, method of implementation, relationship to an existing tax regime, if any);
Who is being targeted by this new tax or tax incentive, and how does it function?
• The desired impact of the tax or tax incentive (revenue generated and its use, modification of practices or behaviour envisaged).
What impact or benefits will be derived from the new tax or tax incentive?
Submit your proposal in pdf, png or jpg format, in French or English before June 15, 2020. Don’t forget to indicate the names of all members of your team and the institution to which you are affiliated.
Some questions to help you get started:
• Is it possible to apply a tax on a product or service, or a range of products or services that will include adequate compensation for these undesirable effects that are not reflected in the market price?
• To what extent would the implementation of the tax or tax incentive change certain practices (do substitutes exist, are there more environmentally-friendly products or services available whose adoption will be more likely because their pricing will become more competitive as a result of the new tax)?
• What are the likely effects that this tax or tax incentive will have on public finances? Should the revenue generated be directed to a particular use? Can the cost of the tax incentive be justified?
• Will the tax or tax incentive be socially acceptable? Will any additional measures to facilitate its adoption need to be considered?